Sunday, September 9, 2012

Hello September

Wow! We are starting our third week of school already and summer is gone!  (Although it was 90 degrees today). 

Let's be honest - I barely survived summer and was more than ready to see that beloved yellow school bus pull up and pick up the kiddos.  They started a new school this fall and it's been a learning curve for all of us to figure out all the new things there are to learn!  I feel like I'm starting college all over again learning all the class/teacher expectations and what time I need to be where and pick up who.  Seriously, I've had some brain aches as I've been trying to get all this down as well as tackle all the projects I didn't get to over the summer!

But tonight I just wanted to share a few special moments that I wanted to record before they become a vague memory.

Today after church we had just finished up lunch and I gave Kenz a sippy cup of water.  She wandered in here to the front room and I was cleaning up the dishes when all of the sudden I heard her crying.  This was her I'm in pain cry, I got hurt, you better come help me cuz I'm not movin cry.  Once I processed what kind of cry it was, I ran to the front room to find her behind the couch with her leg part way in the floor vent.  Her foot was dirty and had a dead earwig on it!  Nice, Kenz! So I went to clean off her foot and suddenly noticed her leg was cut and bleeding.  Then I took a closer glance to see that it was sliced open and somewhat deep.  PANIC! Ok, Seri - think - think fast - is this ER material or a homemade super glue project.  Think -- don't stall! Oh crap - how am I supposed to know what constitues stitches or not when I've never had them nor have any of the boys......So I immediately called down Adam for help as I was unable to make the judgment call.  ADam's first response was to take her to the ER!!  I'm thinking "Hold on cowboy!"  That's not the best panic answer!  Let's think this through!  He then had a brilliant idea of calling a neighbor who is also one of his home teaching families, who also happens to be a family dr!  Thankfully he answered and was on his way! 

Kennedy's brothers were so sweet to her and were fetching her dollies for her to keep her calm and make her smile.  When Brother Smith arrived, you could tell the boys were somewhat nervous to find out if we needed to head to the ER for stitches or if she'd be okay.  They very willingly got her a pillow and her blankie to make her comfortable while I squeezed her leg so he could put some aderma-bond liquid bandage stuff on it. Not to forget that in the meantime Adam started getting light-headed after he saw the damage  - so he is sitting on the couch about now.  I asked him to hold her arms down while I took her legs. The glue worked great and she was ready to lay it down for a nap afterwards.  Of course Adam unselfishly volunteered to lay down with her!

But after this whole ordeal, I wanted to record my convo with Caden.  He told me tonight that "Mom, I think I'm becoming more soft!"  I personally just wanted to giggle as I leaned in and said "What"? (I knew what he had said, but I wanted to hear it again). He said, well, I don't know how to explain it, but it's kinda like being soft.  I said, Oh, you mean sensitive?  Ya, like that, but I don't like to show it most times because I know Gabe and Tanner will make fun of me :(  I explained to him that when they were 10 they would probably be the same way and so it's okay.  I also told him it's a sign of maturity and that he's growing up and it's totally normal.  Adam said he saw Caden in our bedroom right before Dr. Smith arrived and Cades had big tears welling up in his eyes - he was so concerned about his sister.  So cute - just had to share...I remember feeling the same way about my brother Jared when he had to go to the hospital and have his appendics removed.

Lots has happened that I need to blog about but until then......Happy trails!

No comments: